Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reflections and Prayer

What a whirlwind our Lenten and Easter season has been! Between our weekly Church Lenten Suppers and Study, our Special services, the service for Jackie Grossman, the recent hospitalizations of our custodian/sexton Jim Grossman and Director of Music Cas Ardrey and the recent resignation of Church Secretary Kathy Groff, I believe Bethany has been in a constant pace of activity and emotions, reflection and prayer.

Today as I write, I am in awe of the great presence of God that has supported each of us through the last couple of months. As I wondered how I was going to do it, balancing my own emotions around Jackie's departure to be with her Lord Jesus, staff illness and preparations for the Holy Week services, I knew I just couldn't do it. Then I did what I haven't done in years -- I walked into the sanctuary on Wednesday of Holy Week, knelt down and prayed to the Lord. It's not that I don't pray. I do, often actually, but I had forgotten about what happens when we lay our whole selves at the feet of our God. That's what I did on Wednesday. I told God I couldn't do it alone, not even alone really, without the added strength from God. And instantly, I had it. I found the peace I needed when I returned only moments later to the work I needed to do, to the preparations I needed to make, to the nurturing that needed to come. God did the work in me so that I could support God's work in others.

And isn't that what we all do. We work to live our lives the best we can. We ask for God's love, guidance and support. We work to strengthen our relationships with God and others through refection and prayer, through sharing time and thoughts with one another, through dialoguing with others and working to build stronger relationships with our family and friends, with our church but especially with our God.

As we approach Mother's Day and Father's Day, I am reminded of the mothers and fathers that have supported us in our lives. But I am also reminded of that there are those among us that have not have supportive parents or even have had abusive ones. For many of us, Mother's Day and Father's Day is a time to celebrate the relationships that have brought strength and happiness to our lives. Yet as we approach these special holidays, let us also pray for those who have lost there mothers and fathers as well as grandparents, children and grandchildren.

May we be mindful these next two months of the many ways we are tied together as followers of Jesus Christ. We are not merely members on one church or of one family. We are not just people who come together somewhat regularly to worship our God. We are followers and disciples of Jesus Christ. We are here to celebrate all that Christ did for us through his death and resurrection, but also what God continues to do in us right now, in this time and place.

My friends, we do not always know what challenges are before us or how life can suprise us, but we do know that we are here on this path together to love and support each other and to be the body of Christ together. As we celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day, let us celebrate together and as we see our brothers and sisters struggling through their grief, sadness and memories let us share our love and our prayers and seek God's peace in the name of Jesus Christ.

My prayers and blessing are with you all

No comments: