Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Scooter? Really?

A couple of weeks ago, Jeremy came home from work with a truck making a bad noise and needed to take my car to work in Easton, PA. I planned on dropping Aaron off at school in the truck and then taking it to the mechanic afterwards. However, the steering wheel was stuck and not allowing me to turn the key and it was getting late. Off Aaron and I went hand in hand to school. (Well, it was more like I was pulling him along as we walked the 9/10 mile to Wharton.)

One of my favorite fellow parents at Wharton is Michelle Sulton whose husband, Steve, is Oromo and knows many of our Oromo families. We have talked often and as I shared with her my car woes, I learned that her husband is a Mechanic and that he would stop by the house and help me with our truck that was stuck in the garage due to a key that would not turn. I was amazed at the generosity of them both. (Thanks guys!)

After the Labor Day weekend, Aaron and I trekked again to school, but this time he took his razor scooter. On the way back and not wanting to have to carry it I tried to ride it, but didn’t get that far before I hit a bump and the footbed flew out from under me and wacked me in the back of the legs. NOT FUN.

Yet, as I jumped on Jeremy’s adult size Razor Scooter to ride off to the mechanic later that day, I wondered if I was in for more bruises. I decided to chance it. It was hot and I didn’t want to walk. I had a blast as my skirt slightly blew in the wind and I went on an easy downhill ride up to Harrisburg Pike. It was really quite enjoyable.

A few honks from car drivers later, I learned that one of the church members was driving up Harrisburg Pike and had a double take as Pastor Laura pushed by.

As I look back, on this incident, it reminded me of how often we can feel frustrated and even put out by something we need to do in life and then as we do it we learn it was more fun than we ever realized.

I think the church is a lot like that. We are used to things going in a certain way and then something happens and life seems all upside down. What are we to do? Will we just sit there wondering and doubting or will we jump on our scooters and push off toward the next direction we are called to go?

As followers of Jesus Christ, we know that we are not promised a perfect life but a fulfilling one. God works in us and through us, inspiring us to step out in ways we never expected possible.

When Aaron’s friends at school heard he rode the scooter, they informed me scooters can be dangerous and I told them that we what one should wear their helmet. When we step out in faith, we do not step out alone or unprepared or without our helmets. We step out with God’s Word informing us, the Holy Spirit guiding us and God showing us the way we are to go. We step out with all that we need, knowing God will surprise us and we will be changed. Let us all be changed and, yes, transformed by God as we live out our faith and step out as followers of Christ – scooters and all.

No comments: